Summer plumbing problems and how to avoid them
Holidays, barbeques, beach trips and an abundance of fresh produce; summer is the best time to have fun with your family and friends. However, the warm weather can be overtaxing for your plumbing system. The bathroom, the washing machine, and the dishwasher will be overused during this period and if you don’t take the necessary precautions, you could face severe plumbing disasters. Here, we have listed some common summer plumbing problems and how you can deal with them:
How to avoid a clogged toilet
While you are busy preparing for the barbeque, the kids could be flushing unnecessary objects down the toilet. They may be wasting a lot of water or maybe using too much toilet paper. To avoid severe plumbing problems such as a clogged toilet, train your kids not to flush anything down the toilet. Also, train them to use only a small piece of toilet paper every time they use the bathroom. Have a trash bin in your bathroom so that your guests and kids can dispose the waste correctly instead of flushing things down the toilet. Common clogs can be cleared easily using a plunger but flushing down unnecessary things could cause severe drain blockages and require professional help. Learn some of the most common hacks to clear blocked toilets or sink and prevent further damage to your property today.
Sewer line backups
Melbourne is well-known for its changeable weather condition, especially during the spring and summer months when you can expect severe thunderstorms, hailstorms, heavy rainfall and a drop in temperature. Excessive rainfall can cause sewer line backups. The rainwater along with sand and sediments may seep into the drain pipes via cracks and cause drainage issues. To avoid such unwanted and unhygienic plumbing problems, you should get your sewer line inspected at the beginning of the summer. Our team will find out if there is a susceptible sewer line backup issue and, accordingly, we will suggest the most efficient solution.
Clogged garbage disposal unit
Garbage disposal clogs are common plumbing problems but they are more frequent during summer when you have guests and kids at home. With kids running around the house and frequent visits from friends and family, it could be difficult for you to make sure the garbage is disposed of correctly. Luckily garbage disposal clogs are preventable with just a few precautions:
- Any firm garbage should go into the trash and not the garbage disposal unit. This includes melon rinds, carrots, corn cobs, bones, coffee grounds, etc.
- Do not dump the leftover food into the garbage disposal unit. Put a trash bin near the sink and make sure everyone is dumping the leftovers in it.
- Celery and leafy vegetables can get stuck in the blades of the garbage disposal unit and damage it. You can compost them or throw them in the garbage.
- Do not pour used cooking oil/grease down the drain. The oil will solidify down the drain and cause blockages.
- To keep your disposal unit clean, run cold water for 15 seconds before and after use.
Slow shower and washer drain
Without beach visits, summer will be incomplete for Melbourne residents. Such outings are the hallmark of summer but they could leave you with a bunch of plumbing problems such as slow pressure in the shower and water draining slower in the shower. The sand, gravel, and mud that you will bring back home can choke your drainage system and damage your washing machine. Here is what you can do:
- If possible, use public showers at the beach to wash off the sand from your body and clothes.
- You can also rinse off in your backyard before heading for a shower.
- Do not put your clothes directly in the washing machine. Rinse them off the backyard with a bucket full of water to wash off the sand, mud, and gravel.
We hope these tips help you keep away the common summer plumbing problems. If you need fast, reliable and efficient find a leak specialists call us at 1800 532 533.